Interview with Stephen Kerm - PAVILLON NEUF
Interview with Stephen Kerm - founder and designer of the French brand PAVILLON NEUF
100% Made in France.
Today we want to introduce you a young, but already well know and beloved by many lovers of stylish and high-quality clothing - brand PAVILLON NEUF.
The founder and designer of the brand Stephen Kerm usually prefers to remain hidden for the press, but for the readers of our magazine, he agreed to give an exclusive interview in his showroom, located in the heart of Paris, just a few meters from the Eiffel Tower.
The outfits of this brand can often be seen in such popular and beloved shows as “Voice France”, “Destination Eurovision”, “The children of TV”, “Dancing with the stars” and many others. Also, without even knowing it, you might have seen his clothes in various French music videos and films.
The fact that each piece produced in very limited edition, plus strict quality control throughout the entire production stage and yes, everything is made in France, makes the brand even more attractive.
After all, it is not for nothing that celebrity stylists often buy clothes from him for their star clients such as Jamel DEBBOUZE, HATIK, DJ SNAKE, BOOBA, YAZZ.
- Tell us something about yourself and your company?
- My path to the world of fashion was not easy. To begin with, I'm a self-taught designer.
I still remember my first piece, which I created when I was 17 years old.
Those time I sewed everything, literally, by hand - without a sewing machine. My sister was my muse and a model.
My parents did not wanted to see my future in the fashion industry and strongly advised me to change activities and get a more practical education in order to have a good and stable job in the future.
I agreed with them, but never gave up my passion for the fashion design. My love only grew and became stronger and stronger every day. I was willing to give up everything in order to create my own brand and breathe life into my creations.
- What do you love about being a fashion designer?
- I enjoy design and creativity. I like to create clothes that people like to wear. I like to share my ideas, my vision and mood through the clothes.
- What is fashion for you?
- For me, fashion is freedom of self expression. Each of us creates his own fashion for himself. We are all different and each of us feels comfortable in his own individual style. For some of us, to feel fashionable and comfortable, need only pair of jeans and a T-shirt, while others cannot imagine their wardrobe without expensive luxury brands. I believe you will never find a precise definition of fashion. For me, style is more important because it defines fashion.
- How do you stay updated with the trends in the fashion industry?
- I never follow fashion trends, I create my own trends, hoping that my buyers will like it and that other designers will be get inspired.
- Do you wear clothes of your brand?
- Of course, I am happy to wear clothes of my own brand, combining together with clothes from other designers. But I'm sure that all designers like to see when other people wear his clothes, and not themselves.
- What will fashion be like 10 years from now?
- Fashion in ten years will be a constant reboot. I think that for the new collections we will look for inspirations in the past trends. I really hope there will be more ethical, eco-friendly and sustainable fashion brands in the future.
- How has the pandemic affected your business?
- The Covid 19 crisis has seriously changed the fashion world. We all have to quickly adapt and find new solutions for creating, showing and selling new collections under the current conditions. We need to constantly look for creative inspiration, ideas and how to bring pleasure to customers.
- What are your hobby?
- I love to walk on the Parisian streets and contemplate the architecture of old houses, fountains, parks. For me it is an endless pleasure and inspiration.
- What advice do you have for newcomer designers?
- First of all, I would like them to always believe in themselves and their dreams. Never give up and be persistent. Don't look for easy ways and don't be afraid to try to enter through a "narrow" door.
Author and Photojournalis: Christina V Henningstad @christina_henningstad
Model: Snake Ninja aka Narbonnais Mickael @iamsnakeninja
Makeup: Serguei Chatel @serguei_chatel
Stylist: Kahina Melchane @mellekahina
Accessoires: OV CONCEPT @ov.concept
Location: BEARCUB Communication @bearcub_communication
Production: Fashionview @fashionview.eu for 24Fashion.tv
Total look: PAVILLON NEUF @pavillonneuf